The Maker/Leader: Leading from the Middle through Innovation
The expected outcomes for the participants of this workshop are:
(1) Participants will reflect upon the practice of innovative thinking and define for themselves what innovation looks like in academic libraries; and
(2) Participants will develop a game plan for "leading through innovation" at their respective institutions, creating specific expected outcomes and actionable steps for future work.
The workshop will be divided into four parts:
(1) Defining the Maker/Leader;
(2) Fostering Innovative Thinking, Creating Innovative Work;
(3) Creating Structures for Innovative Work; and
(4) Bringing Projects to Life.
In Part 1, we will discuss what it means to lead through innovation from all levels within an organization and additionally highlight examples of Maker/Leaders. In Part 2, we will discuss methods of innovative thinking and ask participants to define for themselves what innovative work in libraries should look like. Part 3 will continue the discussions from Part 2, but examine those discussions from the viewpoint of the organizational whole. Finally, in Part 4 we will help participants to develop a game plan for bringing their projects to life and show how they can leverage the work and networks built around those projects to become leaders within their organizations.